Re: HEADS UP: /bin and /sbin are now dynamically linked

From: David O'Brien <obrien_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Thu, 27 Nov 2003 03:34:57 -0000
On Wed, Nov 26, 2003 at 10:37:48AM -0800, Tim Kientzle wrote:
> >If we're going to add an FTP client, lets pick the one with the best
> >functionality for the job -- /usr/bin/ftp.  I may not know the complete
> >URL to the bits I need, and if so with fetch you're still screwed.
>
> On the other hand, /usr/bin/ftp also has drawbacks:
> It requires ncurses (one reason I am interested in dropping vi is to
> shed the ncurses library and the need for a termcap file), it's
> considerably larger than fetch,

I don't feel like fighting the vi battle.  IF we are going to expand
/rescue beyond 100% compatability with /[s]bin, we need a tolerable
editor.  That is vi, unless we use edit(1) or import

> and it doesn't support HTTP.

  $ /usr/bin/ftp http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/6/32524.html
  Requesting http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/6/32524.html
  22559 bytes retrieved in 00:00 (35.28 KB/s)

NetBSD, which is where we got /usr/bin/ftp from, doesn't have fetch(1).
They use their ftp client for all the things we use fetch(1) for.  It
makes sense as there is less code duplication and you always have the
tool working identical for interactive and "batch" transfers.

--
-- David  (obrien_at_FreeBSD.org)