Way Down [The Line] (was: 5.2-RELEASE TODO)

From: RMH <rmhlldr_at_yahoo.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 2 Oct 2003 04:44:03 +0100 (BST)
Dan Nelson wrote:
> In the last episode (Sep 29), Wilko Bulte said:
> > On Mon, Sep 29, 2003 at 12:19:30PM -0700, Marcel Moolenaar wrote:
> > > I also mentioned recently (in the last couple of days) that we
> > > should worry more about sparc64 than alpha. Simply because I think
> > > alpha is on it's way down and should already be a tier 2 platform
> > > and sparc64 is still on its way up ... sort of.
> >
> > In my book sparc64 is also with one foot in the grave. As is Sun
> > itself.
>
> Fujitsu makes sparc-compatible CPUs, too, so it'll be harder to kill
> the entire architecture like HP did with the Alpha.

Alpha was buried by DEC itself, with a little help from Compaq. Vague
marketing policy and the way they supported OEMs led to the disaster.
Samsung tried to change something, but it was too late. Besides, it
was hard to promote 21264 without an adequate chipset: AMD-751 wasn't
able to supply neccessary memory bandwidth, DEC Tsunami and Typhoon
were, but Tsunami was offered to OEMs by Compaq for over a thousand USD
per set... Unfortunately, AMD-761 appeared too late to help Alpha in
its final struggle. HP has only confirmed the lethal issue, thus
ceasing this agony. But Alpha will always live in our hearts :(

---
Regards,
 Rhett