scsi-cd + GEOM

From: Sascha Holzleiter <sascha_at_daemonground.de>
Date: Thu, 02 Oct 2003 07:55:50 +0200
Hi,

with a -CURRENT from today the scsi cd driver seems to have moved under
GEOM. Actually a good move this gives me a problem:

I have a Plextor PX-40 cd-rom which seems to report it's status a little
slow when being reinitialized this means I have to wait about 60-90
seconds during boot time before the boot process continues:

GEOM: create disk cd0 dp=0xc5c25e00
GEOM: create disk cd1 dp=0xc5c25600
cd0 at ahc0 bus 0 target 2 lun 0
cd0: <PIONEER DVD-ROM DVD-303 1.10> Removable CD-ROM SCSI-2 device
cd0: 20.000MB/s transfers (20.000MHz, offset 8)
cd0: Attempt to query device size failed: NOT READY, Medium not present
--- WAIT ABOUT 60-90 seconds ---
cd1 at ahc0 bus 0 target 3 lun 0
cd1: <PLEXTOR CD-ROM PX-40TS 1.05> Removable CD-ROM SCSI-2 device
cd1: 20.000MB/s transfers (20.000MHz, offset 15)
cd1: Attempt to query device size failed: NOT READY, Medium not present
- tray closed

This has always been like that and wasn't a problem, i just got the cd1
messages after the boot process but GEOM seems to require them during
boot time and gives me that wait period. Is there any way to specify a
custom timeout for this so that lazy drives like mine won't slow down
the whole boot process?

This is not a scsi configuration error, the drive has the latest
firmware and acts like that in every scsi environment i tested it
with...

Regards,
  Sascha