Re: /bin/sh terminated abnormally

From: Szilveszter Adam <sziszi_at_bsd.hu>
Date: Sun, 5 Oct 2003 07:19:36 +0200
On Sat, Oct 04, 2003 at 09:19:45PM -0700, Mike Hunter wrote:

> > when I boot into the FreeBSD 5.1 I am getting this error message :
> > WARNING: Userland calling deprecated sysctl, please rebuild world.
> >
> > I tried to world rebuild the  but I can't  It's failing at
> > /usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/gperf
> >
> > I re-cvsuped the src this time I can't buildworld
> >
> > Stop in /usr/src/include/sys/_type.h : 80
> >
> > i dont know what to do now
>
> I'm cc'ing current because I'm not sure what the best thing to do is at
> this point.  You could try rm -rf'ing /usr/src....lil help?

No need to do that. You have done the following:

buildworld on old system. Worked.
buildkernel on old system. Worked.
installkernel on old system. Worked, but now your kernel is not in sync
with your userland any more.
reboot with new kernel (with manual intervention). Seems it worked. But
now you need to make installworld, to get back in sync. (from single
user mode, of course)

But best would be, for future reference, to first update the src files
to the 5.x you are upgrading to, *then* reading /usr/src/UPDATING, there
is a lenghty section on upgrading from 4.x to 5.x, and following it to
minute detail, because this operation is rather complicated. The section
is titled "To upgrade in-place from 4.x-stable to current". It is not
late to read it even now. There are a few things worth noting in there.

--
Regards:

Szilveszter ADAM
Budapest