Re: umass panic when connecting camera

From: John Hay <jhay_at_icomtek.csir.co.za>
Date: Tue, 7 Oct 2003 21:25:45 +0200
On Tue, Oct 07, 2003 at 07:11:10PM +0100, Bruce M Simpson wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 07, 2003 at 08:02:02PM +0200, John Hay wrote:
> > Any comments from people a little more knowledgable in the umass/usb
> > area?
>
> I don't know about USB specifically, but I thought timeout() et al were
> to be deprecated in favour of callout*() ?

Well I just wanted to get my device working again without changing the
code too much, so I added an untimeout() for the existing timeout().
The usb code is also shared with the other *BSD groups. Looking at the
rest of the usb files, I see that they do use usb_callout*(), so one
can probably convert umass to it.

The man page for (un)timeout and callout* is interesting because it does
say that timeout() "is the old style and new code should use the callout_*
functions" but a little later it also says

"The functions callout_init(), callout_stop() and callout_reset() are low-
level routines for clients who wish to allocate their own callout struc-
tures."

:-)

John
--
John Hay -- John.Hay_at_icomtek.csir.co.za / jhay_at_FreeBSD.org