Re: no partition entries for /dev/ad3

From: Harti Brandt <brandt_at_fokus.fraunhofer.de>
Date: Wed, 8 Oct 2003 12:59:03 +0200 (CEST)
On Wed, 8 Oct 2003, ecsd wrote:

e>Harti Brandt wrote:
e>On Wed, 8 Oct 2003, ecsd wrote:
e>e>I had already been able to go so far as to "disklabel -w -r ad3 auto".
e>e>After doing this on a 4.X system I would then "disklabel -e /dev/ad3s1c"
e>e>but /dev/ad3s1c does not exist, so I am stuck.
e>e>Maybe there is a "rescan devices" command?
e>
e>e> fdisk thinks it has no work to do.
e>
e>In that case you should have a /dev/ad3s1. Have you?
e>harti
e>
e>The chronology is that I booted the system, did the disklabel -w -r ad3
e>auto,
e>turned around to disklabel -e /dev/ad3s1c (as I would normally do), and
e>was told that /dev/ad3s1c did not exist. Then I wrote in here asking for
e>help.
e>ad3s1c does not exist.

If I understand correctly disklabel -e ad3 auto will create you partitions
without creating slices. You should get /dev/ad3c and this will cover the
entire disk (though I don't know if this is really supported). Normally
you should put slices onto your disk and disklabel the slices. Given that
you have a correct fdisk label you should have the slice entries
/dev/ad3s[1-4]. Then you can disklabel the slices: 'disklabel -e
/dev/ad3s1 auto'. ad3s1c of course does not exist if you don't have
labeled the slice. You must label the slice (da3s1), not a partition
thereof (da3s1c).

harti
--
harti brandt,