i865 Video Memory

From: David Malone <dwmalone_at_maths.tcd.ie>
Date: Wed, 08 Oct 2003 18:10:44 +0100
It seems some recent Dell machines have the amount of video memory
available set to 1MB by default. The desktop machines allow you to
set this in the BIOS, but the laptops don't seem to allow you to
adjust this. Christian Zietz has a hack for Linux that convinces
the BIOS to let you use more memory, and I've just ported his hack
to FreeBSD.

Christian's code is at:

	http://www.chzsoft.com.ar/855patch.html

and my patch to his code, and a binary compiled for 4.9 are at:

	http://www.cnri.dit.ie/~dwmalone/855patch/

You can just run "855patch 8192" before starting X, and suddenly
you can do a resolution higher than 640x480 in 8 bit mode ;-)

	David.