Re: Seeing system-lockups on recent current

From: Garance A Drosihn <drosih_at_rpi.edu>
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2003 16:49:42 -0400
At 12:48 PM -0700 10/10/03, Doug White wrote:
>On Fri, 10 Oct 2003, Garance A Drosihn wrote:
>
>>  For the past week or so, I have been having a frustrating time
>>  with my freebsd-current/i386 system.  It is a dual Athlon
>>  system.  It has been running -current just fine since December,
>>  with me updating the OS every week or two.  I did not update it
>>  for most of September, and then went to update it to pick up
>>  the recent round of security-related fixes.
>
>It would be useful to isolate exactly what day the problem
>started occuring. That would simplify isolating the offending
>commit.  Use the date specifier in cvsup to checkout specific
>dates, then build & test.

I've done that.  As mentioned in the message, I've done complete
system rebuilds using snapshots from about Sept 12th to Oct 8th.
The problem is that it's tedious do keep doing these rebuilds,
when the very act of a buildworld or buildkernel can trigger
the system lockup.

I really am torn between thinking that it's a change in -current
and thinking it must be something about my specific system.
Depending on which set of observations I pick, I can make an
excellent case for either one being the culprit.  So, if no one
else *is* seeing this kind of problem, then it's more likely to
be my hardware (one way or another).  I'll keep trying things.

--
Garance Alistair Drosehn            =   gad_at_gilead.netel.rpi.edu
Senior Systems Programmer           or  gad_at_freebsd.org