FreeBSD 5.1-CURRENT ATA problem

From: Rob MacGregor <rob_macgregor_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 11 Oct 2003 21:21:15 +0000
Since earlier this week I've suffered the same problem's others have
reported with ata lockups
(http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-current/2003-October/011686.html,
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-current/2003-October/011727.html).
  During boot if I have my CD ROM drive installed I get the following:

GEOM: create disk ad0 dp=0xc496c670
ad0: 28615MV <IC25N030ATDA04-0> [58140/16/63] at ata0-master UDMA33
ata1: resetting devices ..
done

And then the laptop locks up and stays that way until I perform a power
cycle.  Same result with or without ACPI.

Without the CD-ROM drive everything boots fine.  Installing the CD ROM drive
post boot results in a locked system too.

The hardware is an HP Omnibook 6000 laptop with a GENERIC kernel.

If people let me know what I can do to further identify the cause of this
problem I'm happy to help.  Having never played with -CURRENT before I'm a
little out of my depth :)

--
Rob  |  What part of "no" was it you didn't understand?

http://www.msn.co.uk/messenger