Re: sata + vinum + Asus p4p800 = :(

From: Soren Schmidt <sos_at_spider.deepcore.dk>
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2003 10:34:06 +0200 (CEST)
It seems Balazs Nagy wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I had a -CURRENT setting with an Abit BE7-S and two SATA disks with
> vinum configuration.  It worked very well until a power failure, and
> the mainboard died.  Yesterday I got a replacement mainboard, the only
> type met the requirements (eg. two SATA ports) in the store: an Asus
> P4P800.
>
> My only problem is with the disks.  I can use all USB ports (8; what a
> server could do with eight USB ports?), the 3C940 Gigabit Ethernet port
> (I disabled the sound subsystem), and everything works until the first
> fsck, when the kernel paniced.  Here is the dmesg:
>
> GEOM: create disk ad0 dp=0xc6b4bb70
> ad0: 4028MB <Maxtor 90422D2> [8184/16/63] at ata0-master UDMA33
> acd0: CDROM <GCR-8523B> at ata0-slave PIO4
> GEOM: create disk ad4 dp=0xc6b4b070
> ad4: 117246MB <Maxtor 6Y120M0> [238216/16/63] at ata2-master UDMA133
> GEOM: create disk ad6 dp=0xc6b4b170
> ad6: 117246MB <Maxtor 6Y120M0> [238216/16/63] at ata3-master UDMA133
> Mounting root from ufs:/dev/vinum/root
> panic: ata_dmasetup: transfer active on this device!
>
> I did further investigation: I booted from ata0-master, and mounted
> /dev/vinum/root as /mnt.  A simple fsck -f -B /mnt killed the system.
> I did the same with /dev/ad4s1a (this is the boot hack partition from
> the handbook), then I switched off softupdates.  No win. I tried to
> boot with safe mode either, but it hung with page fault.
>
> What can I do?  Besides, why my SATA interfaces are recognized as
> UDMA133?

First loose vinum from the mix, if we should have a chance finding
the problem we need to lower the number of unknowns. Then tell us
if and how it fails, dmesg from verbose booted system, backtrace
etc, you know the drill if running -current.

That your disks are said to be ATA133 is of no concern if they are
SATA connected, no matter what DMA speed the disk is set to the
interface will run full SATA speed. This is all just for backwards
compat in case you wonder and yes I'd have liked a bit in there
stating that it ran SATA speed, but thats simply not there..

-Søren