Re: More ULE bugs fixed.

From: Eirik Oeverby <ltning_at_anduin.net>
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2003 13:48:57 +0200
Eirik Oeverby wrote:
> Jeff Roberson wrote:
>
>> I fixed two bugs that were exposed due to more of the kernel running
>> outside of Giant.  ULE had some issues with priority propagation that
>> stopped it from working very well.
>>
>> Things should be much improved.  Feedback, as always, is welcome.  I'd
>> like to look into making this the default scheduler for 5.2 if things
>> start looking up.  I hope that scares you all into using it more. :-)
>

> Hi..
> Just tested, so far it seems good. System CPU load is floored (near 0),
> system is very responsive, no mouse sluggishness or random
> mouse/keyboard input.
> Doing a make -j 20 buildworld now (on my 1ghz p3 thinkpad ;), and
> running some SQLServer stuff in VMWare. We'll see how it fares.

Hi, just a followup message.
I'm now running the buildworld mentioned above, and the system is pretty
much unusable. It exhibits the same symptoms as I have mentioned before,
mouse jumpiness, bogus mouse input (movement, clicks), and the system is
generally very jerky and unresponsive. This is particularily evident
when doing things like webpage loading/browsing/rendering, but it's
noticeable all the time, no matter what I am doing. As an example, the
last sentence I wote without seeing a single character on screen before
I was finsihed writing it, and it appeared with a lot more typos than I
usually make ;)

I'm running *without* invariants and witness right now, i.e. a kernel
100% equal to the SCHED_4BSD kernel.

Best regards,
/Eirik