Re: Seeing system-lockups on recent current

From: Garance A Drosihn <drosih_at_rpi.edu>
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2003 14:35:09 -0400
At 11:52 PM +0200 10/10/03, Dag-Erling Smørgrav wrote:
>Doug White <dwhite_at_gumbysoft.com> writes:
>>  On Fri, 10 Oct 2003, Garance A Drosihn wrote:
>  > > For the past week or so, I have been having a frustrating
>  > > time with my freebsd-current/i386 system.  It is a dual
>  > > Athlon system.  [...]
>
>  > It would be useful to isolate exactly what day the problem
>  > started occuring.
>
>I experienced similar problems on a dual Athlon system (MSI K7D
>Master-L motherboard, AMD 760MPX chipset, dual Athlon MP 2200+)
>which is barely a couple of months old.  I ended up reverting
>to RELENG_5_1.
>With -CURRENT, both UP and SMP kernels will crash with symptoms
>which suggest hardware trouble.  With RELENG_5_1, UP is rock
>solid (knock on wood) while SMP crashes within minutes of booting.

Just to follow up on this...

My symptoms were different, in that I have problems with both
UP and SMP (although UP did seem more stable).  I also tried a
clean install of 5.1-RELEASE (right off the CD's), and that
would also hang up.  Since I *know* this machine had been
running fine back at the time of 5.1-release, this was pretty
significant.

I took the PC back to the place I got it from, and they ran
some kind of diagnostics on it and said the motherboard is
bad.  They're replacing the motherboard.  So, unless I have
something more to say when I get that back, it looks pretty
likely that my headaches were hardware-related.  (my machine
also has a different components than des's machine)

--
Garance Alistair Drosehn            =   gad_at_gilead.netel.rpi.edu
Senior Systems Programmer           or  gad_at_freebsd.org