Re: __fpclassifyd problem

From: Kris Kennaway <kris_at_obsecurity.org>
Date: Sun, 19 Oct 2003 15:48:58 -0700
On Sun, Oct 19, 2003 at 03:13:41PM -0700, Steve Kargl wrote:

> I sent in an email *along time ago* about this type
> of problem.  See the fallout due to revision 1.24
> of lib/libc/stdio/findfp.c.  IMHO, all shared libraries
> versions should have been bumped in going from 4.x to
> 5.0.

You don't want to do it before you have to, because this creates more
pain for people when you make a change that breaks backwards compat
(given the policy/preference of only bumping once per major release).

I'm working on a script that will detect the kind of backwards
compatibility breakage we're seeing here by comparing the symbols in
4.x and 5.x versions of libraries with the same major revision.  We
can then run this once a day/week/whatever somewhere to catch these
problems as soon as they occur in future.

Kris