Re: samba 3 on CURRENT and net.inet.tcp.blackhole

From: Don Lewis <truckman_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2003 20:34:48 -0700 (PDT)
On 14 Oct, Michal wrote:
> Hello,
> I have a problem with samba 3.0.
> I had to reinstall FreeBSD-CURRENT after known problems with ATAng and
> atapicam (beginning of September(?)), since then I can't set
> net.inet.tcp.blackhole=2 in /etc/sysctl.conf. If I add the option to
> sysctl then
> samba will hung until I press ^C. If I boot without this option then samba
> starts fine. However running now
> sysctl net.inet.tcp.blackhole=2 prevent smbclient from running. I still
> will be
> able to connect to smb shere from another computer.

How long did you wait before interrupting samba?  My suspicion is that
it is attempting to connect to a port that doesn't have a listener, and
it is relying on receiving the ICMP unreachable to cause a connect()
call to fail with ECONNREFUSED before it makes a connection attempt to
another port that succeeds.  If this is the situation, then the
connect() call should eventually fail with ETIMEDOUT if you wait long
enough.

You might try disabling net.inet.tcp.blackhole and enabling
net.inet.tcp.log_in_vain instead.  That will tell you if samba is
attempting to connect to a port without a listener when it starts up and
might give you a hint about possible configuration changes that you
could make so that you can re-enable net.inet.tcp.blackhole.