this /rescue thing

From: C. Kukulies <kuku_at_www.kukulies.org>
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2003 11:55:57 +0200 (CEST)
/rescue is always causing trouble with me here. make world falls over
with:

===> rescue/rescue
install -s -o root -g wheel -m 555   rescue /rescue
install -o root  -g wheel -m 555  nextboot_FIXED  /rescue/nextboot.sh
install: /rescue/nextboot.sh: Not a directory
*** Error code 71

Stop in /u/src/rescue/rescue.
*** Error code 1

Looking into / I see that /rescue is a file.

Why is this /rescue being created in /? It used to blow up and
overflow the / filesystem (there were times when a 40 MB root FS was
sufficient).

What is the safe method to put /rescue elsewhere (in an area with enough
space). It also seems that it is being deleted by make world, at least I
seem to remember that putting a soft link into /rescue into / didn't
help either.

--
Chris Christoph P. U. Kukulies kuku_at_physik.rwth-aachen.de