success (Re: USB problem: /dev/ugen* dynamically auto-reconfigures to root:operator 644, so non-root user unable to access USB devices even if wanted)

From: Andreas Klemm <andreas_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2003 14:09:50 +0200
Poul-Henning,

many thanks for you kind guidance to the wonderful world of
devfs (which I never had to tweak in the past) ;-)

On Mon, Oct 20, 2003 at 01:44:50PM +0200, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
> I would probably just use a wildcard:
> 	perm	ugen* 0666

The wildcard feature is really fine ! Thanks for pointing
me into that direction.

> This makes the rules only apply to devices arriving in the future,
> you also need:
> 	devfs rule applyset
> to make them apply to currently available devices.

Good hint ! Thanks !

Well and now things work like expected.

I put these devfs commands now into /etc/rc.local.

But since /etc/rc.local officially has gone, I think this
is not the best place ...

After a longer examination of /etc/devfs, /etc/rc.subr
/etc/defaults/devfs.rules and /etc/defaults/rc.conf
I got the clue, that I can put the statements into /etc/devfs.rules.

Hint: here again we seem to be missing a manpage: devfs.rules(5).

In /etc/rc.subr you see for example a reference to this manpage,
but it doesn't exist.

	Andreas ///

--
Andreas Klemm - Powered by FreeBSD 5.1-CURRENT
Need a magic printfilter today ? -> http://www.apsfilter.org/