Re: this /rescue thing

From: Christoph P. Kukulies <kuku_at_kukulies.org>
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2003 19:54:54 +0200
On Mon, Oct 20, 2003 at 08:06:10AM -0700, David O'Brien wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 20, 2003 at 11:55:57AM +0200, C. Kukulies wrote:
> > ===> rescue/rescue
> > install -s -o root -g wheel -m 555   rescue /rescue
> > install -o root  -g wheel -m 555  nextboot_FIXED  /rescue/nextboot.sh
> > install: /rescue/nextboot.sh: Not a directory
> > *** Error code 71
> >
> > Stop in /u/src/rescue/rescue.
> > *** Error code 1
> >
> > Looking into / I see that /rescue is a file.
>
> There was some pilot error in the order in which you updated your system
> after we added 'rescue'.  You need to 'rm -rf /rescue ; mkdir /rescue'
> and then rebuild and install it.
>
> > What is the safe method to put /rescue elsewhere (in an area with enough
> > space). It also seems that it is being deleted by make world, at least I
> > seem to remember that putting a soft link into /rescue into / didn't
> > help either.
>
> You're missing the point of /rescue.  It MUST be in / to be of any use.

Yeah, but what do if the partition overflows?

Actually I never had the need for it in the past. What would be the correct
use of /rescue?  The most cumbersome issue in the past was the ever growing
root FS in FreeBSD. I wish back the days of a 40 MB root FS.

Is it possible to switch it off? Or to circumvent it somehow?

--
Chris Christoph P. U. Kukulies kuku_at_physik.rwth-aachen.de