kuku_at_kukulies.org

From: masta <masta_at_wifibsd.org>
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2003 16:12:59 -0500 (CDT)
Christoph P. Kukulies wrote:

[ stuff removed ]

>>You're missing the point of /rescue.  It MUST be in / to be of any use.
>

> Yeah, but what do if the partition overflows?

Plan ahead next time. Maybe take a backup, and remove redundancies or
unnecessary files. You could simply resize your slices in a more
appropriate way.

> Actually I never had the need for it in the past. What would be the
correct use of /rescue?

Yes that is likely. You don't normally use a fire hose until you have a
fire to put out. Removing the /rescue is considered foot-shooting.

> The most cumbersome issue in the past was the ever growing root FS in
FreeBSD. I wish back the days of a 40 MB root FS.

Those conditions still exist. You could enable the WITH_DYNAMICROOT
make.conf option to reduce the size of your root filesystem by approx
30Mb. Alternatively you could alter the fstab to mount your root area as
read-only to prevent whatever it is you have done to exceed its capacity.
One idea is to simply not login as root to do your stuff, which might
involve activity that saves large files in your /root homedir area. Here
is my root details with the dynamic binaries:

buda# cd /
buda# du -xhc -d1
512B    ./dev
4.0K    ./tmp
2.0K    ./usr
2.0K    ./var
2.4M    ./stand
1.5M    ./etc
2.0K    ./cdrom
940K    ./bin
 17M    ./boot
2.0K    ./mnt
2.0K    ./proc
 11M    ./root
4.1M    ./sbin
3.7M    ./rescue
3.1M    ./lib
262K    ./libexec
 43M    .
 43M    total

As you can see the /boot and /root areas are bulky. Regarding the /boot
area, you could reduce the kernel modules to items you actually use with
make.conf options, or simply make a suitable static monolith kernel and
forget the idea of loadable kernel modules. Regarding the /root area, this
just shows I've been a bad boy and shouldn't login as root so much.

> Is it possible to switch it off? Or to circumvent it somehow?

You could alter the makefiles to provide a "NO_RESCUE" if that doesn't
already exist. But I think the init program and/or the kernel would need
to change so that /rescue/init isn't spawned in the situation of your
corrupt /bin & /sbin.

unzip ; strip ; touch ; finger ; mount ; fsck ; more ; yes ; umount ; sleep

masta_at_wifibsd.org
http://wifibsd.org