Re: Question on freeBSD (5.1-CURRENT) portupgrade of Perl 5.8 andlibiconv 1.9.1_3

From: Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus_at_marcuscom.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 01:21:10 -0400
On Wed, 2003-10-22 at 01:14, Scott W wrote:
> Hey all.  In doing a portupgrade -RvN for windowmaker, Perl and libiconv
> were recompiled.  I saved the log output and noticed several oddities I
> was wondering if anyone can explain?
>
> 1..several settings come up as undefined during the Perl build, namely:
> $i_malloc
> $d_setegid
> $d_seteuid
> $i_iconv
>
> These don't look troubling by themselves dur to 'autoconf magic,' but
> the next one for libiconv is more bothersome:
>
>  From libiconv 1.9.1_3 configure:
> checking if libtool supports shared libraries... yes
>
> *** Warning: the command libtool uses to detect shared libraries,
> *** /usr/bin/file, produces output that libtool cannot recognize.
> *** The result is that libtool may fail to recognize shared libraries
> *** as such.  This will affect the creation of libtool libraries that
> *** depend on shared libraries, but programs linked with such libtool
> *** libraries will work regardless of this problem.  Nevertheless, you
> *** may want to report the problem to your system manager and/or to
> *** bug-libtool_at_gnu.org
>
> Any ideas?

This is a byproduct of the new dynamic root layout in -CURRENT.
Basically, older versions of libtool try to do file on
/usr/lib/libc.so.  Recent versions of -CURRENT put libc.so in /lib.
Therefore, this fails.  I haven't noticed any real problems because of
this, but I have reported it to the libtool maintainer, ade_at_.

> Also, is there a way to pass configure options to portupgrade, or should
> I run make clean && ./configure for each port in an 'upgrade chain' and
> then force portupgrade to not make clean prior to building/installing?

Configure arguments?  No.  However, you can use the -m option to pass
make arguments (e.g. -DWITH_FOO).  To pass configure arguments, you'd
have to edit the port Makefiles directly.

Joe