Re: panic: Memory modified after free

From: othermark <atkin901_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2003 13:09:09 -0700
Thanks again for looking at this problem....

Doug White wrote:
> On Thu, 23 Oct 2003, othermark wrote:
> Onboard fiber? What kind of system is this?

They're wired to the board.  I'd probably break the connector if I remove
it.  This box has custom hardware attached, I don't expect any of the
drivers to attach (with exception of the std onboard ethernet) because
of this.  I do want -current to come up so I can begin driver twiddling.

>> > That or perhaps you have bad memory.  Do you have ECC RAM in the
>> > system?

I found some and turned on bios ecc logging.  Same panic, no ECC errors
corrections.

> I suspect the actual last user is irrelevant; its a leaking pointer
> reference somewhere and the memory allocator is handing the memory block
> it points to back out to some innocent bystander who triggers the panic.
>
> Have you emailed the em driver maintainer yet?

Based on my later replies - October 16th boots fine, and October 17th
snapshot b0rks on this panic, I'm not convinced the em driver is at fault.
I will recompile w/o em in the kernel to test this theory.

--
othermark
atkin901 at nospam dot yahoo dot com