Re: More ULE bugs fixed.

From: Jeff Roberson <jroberson_at_chesapeake.net>
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2003 02:22:39 -0500 (EST)
On Fri, 17 Oct 2003, Bruce Evans wrote:

> On Fri, 17 Oct 2003, Jeff Roberson wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 17 Oct 2003, Bruce Evans wrote:
> >
> > > How would one test if it was an improvement on the 4BSD scheduler?  It
> > > is not even competitive in my simple tests.
> >
> > At one point ULE was at least as fast as 4BSD and in most cases faster.
> > This is a regression.  I'll sort it out soon.
>
> How much faster?

make kernel on UP seems to be within 1% of 4BSD now.  I actually had some
runs which showed lower system time.  I think I can still improve the
situation some.  Anyway, I found some bugs relating to idle prio tasks,
and also ULE had been doing almost twice as many context switches as 4BSD.
Now it's doing about 8% more.  I'm still tracking this down.

Anyhow, it should be much closer now.  I still have some plans for SMP
that should improve things quite a bit there but UP is looking good.

Cheers,
Jeff