Re: GBDE performance on ZIP disks

From: Robert Watson <rwatson_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2003 21:26:20 -0500 (EST)
On Mon, 27 Oct 2003, Stefan Walter wrote:

> is there a way to speed up writing to a gbde encrypted ZIP disk?
> Copying 37 MB of data to an encrypted disk (in a SCSI drive) that has
> been initialized with "newfs -O 2 -U /dev/da1a.bde" takes ~180 seconds,
> which is ~200KB/s. Copying the same amount of data to the disk without
> using gbde takes ~50 seconds, which is ~740KB/s.
>
> I guess this problem is similar to the one you have when using msdosfs
> on a SCSI ZIP drive, which is also very slow.
>
> Using a different sector size than the default 512, which is also the
> sector size of the media, doesn't seem to be possible and always results
> in a "gbde: write sector 0: Operation not permitted". Playing around
> with newfs's options didn't help so far, either.

How do things look performance-wise if you do a raw sector read comparison
with dd at various blocksizes?  My recollection is that our msdos code
would benefit hugely from the addition of clustering support, but UFS2
with a fragment size matching GBDE's notion shouldn't present the same
problem...

robert_at_fledge.watson.org      Network Associates Laboratories