Re: 5.1-p10 lockups

From: Doug White <dwhite_at_gumbysoft.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2003 09:10:23 -0800 (PST)
On Tue, 28 Oct 2003, [ISO-8859-1] "Branko F. Grac(nar" wrote:

> Last days i'm having big troubles with my 5.1-p10 box. It's dual p3
> 1.2MHz, 1G of ecc ram with 900G on pst0 raid5 disk array.
>
> Kernel configuration is attached.
>
> My problems are lockups when i test apache (2.0.47, php 4.3.3 + turck
> mmcache and horde imp webmail) this machine with JMeter. Machine locks
> up after approx. 5-10 seconds of jmeter test.
>
> That weird, becouse if i stress test mail server on this machine, it
> passes 24 test without problem.
>
> When lockup accours, there are no kernel messages on console, machine
> stop responding to echo requests (ping). There is nothing in syslog logs...

Is the console responsive?  Try compiling with DDB and hitting
Ctrl-Alt-Esc when it locks up to drop to DDB.  See the Handbook for the
sorts of things to run while you're there (see the section on kenrel
debugging).

The network will stop if you run out of mbufs. If you're running with
default tuning options, you're probably hitting a resource limit.  Check
netstat -m, sysctl vm.vm_stats, etc. for any overages.  You  ight have to
run these in a loop while you're running the load test to see what the
trending is before it hangs.

> Bad hardware is not an option.

You haven't been using PC hardware long enough if you're already
discounting this as an option :)