Re: snd_csa issues in -CURRENT

From: matti k <matti_at_optusnet.com.au>
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2003 00:47:00 +1100
On Sat, 30 Aug 2003 18:45:49 +1000
matti k <overclocker_at_optusnet.com.au> wrote:

> On Fri, 29 Aug 2003 12:36:56 +0200
> Eirik Oeverby <ltning_at_anduin.net> wrote:
>
> > I might also point out that there are two distinct kinds of
> > distortion happening: The click/pop/crackle kind of distortion,
> > and one where a sound buffer is repeated over and over 5-10 times
> > - as if the hardware has some kind of hickup.
> >
> > Again - this *only* happens in -CURRENT, not in -STABLE or in any
> > other OS (tested OS/2, BeOS, Linux, winXX).
> >
> > Anyone? :)
> >
> > /Eirik
>
> I get the same pops/crackling but using a SB Live!
> I think it started happening when I switched from 4.x to 5.x
> The strange thing is that sound works fine after a reboot but some
> hours after that I get the noises. It only happens with music
> (mp3,ogg).

I tried a sound card with a CS4630 chip and still got the same thing.
Strange that it takes a while for the noises to appear. Anyway, I was
fiddling with settings using XMMS to play mp3's and found changing
either "resolution" from 16bit to 8bit or changing "down sample" from
1:1(44khz) to 1:2(22khz) fixes the problem. These settings are located
under audio i/o plugins -> input plugins -> mpeg layer 1/2/3 player ->
configure -> decoder. Also after using these settings (1:2(22khz)) for
half an hour and then changing them back to defaults ... sound was
good. I should add that running gkrellm (/ports/sysutils/gkrellm)
_and_ having the cpu monitor enabled makes the noises much worse.
Again, on my system this only occurs after several hours and of
course if I reboot all is well. If nothing else at least I've found a
way to avoid rebooting, I guess.