Re: Postfix locks 5.1-servers?

From: Andy Hilker <ah_at_cryptobank.de>
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2003 12:55:43 +0100
Hi Terry,

first thanks for your answer.

> It's very common, for shell prompts which include the host name, or
> for some shells that are too stupid to realize that the prompt string
> does not require the host name, to do a DNS query in order to get the
> name of the machine they are running on.
I have had this case once a time (nameserver was down). After a
timeout (i think it was a reverse lookup from sshd), shell works.
I am using zsh.

This is no explanation for a crash (one apache is dead, ftp logins
does not work, logins on local console does not work: after typing
user and hitting enter nothing happened).

> If the session is already established, and you aren't using "bash"
> as your shell, then typing "^C" might get you a default prompt and
> drop you to a shell.

No, that doesnt work. Even "ctr-alt-del" does not have an effect.

> Alternately, you can run a split horizon DNS and/or a local caching
> DNS server with a preloaded cache for all local machines to avoid a
> real DNS lookup.

Maybe an entry in /etc/hosts ? I will try this, because it is a
good idea regarding to "stupid shells" ;)

Andy

--
Andy Hilker  	       	 --             mailto:ah_at_cryptobank.de
http://www.cryptobank.de --      PGP Key: https://ca.crypta.net