Re: buildworld failed for current ..cvs 12.30 pm. 10-30-2003

From: Bruce Evans <bde_at_zeta.org.au>
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2003 23:00:11 +1100 (EST)
On Thu, 30 Oct 2003, Kris Kennaway wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 30, 2003 at 08:08:08PM -0800, SteAltH FanThoM wrote:
> > yes it does!
> >
> > http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/makeworld.html
> >
> > 21.4.2 Check /etc/make.conf
> >
> > Examine the files /etc/defaults/make.conf and /etc/make.conf. The first
> > contains some default defines - most of which are commented out. To make
> > use of them when you rebuild your system from source, add them to
> > /etc/make.conf. Keep in mind that anything you add to /etc/make.conf is
> > also used every time you run make, so it is a good idea to set them to
> > something sensible for your system.
> >
> > A typical user will probably want to copy the CFLAGS and NOPROFILE lines
> > found in /etc/defaults/make.conf to /etc/make.conf and uncomment them.

Bad advice.  A typical user should not change CFLAGS or NOPROFILE.

> > Examine the other definitions (COPTFLAGS, NOPORTDOCS and so on) and
> > decide if they are relevant to you.

Better advice.  Examine these and change them if you can decide that they
are relevant to you or want to learn what they do by making mistakes with
them.

> Sure, but..

> > >   ^^
> > > No it doesn't ;-)
>
> ..it doesn't say anything about "-0 -pipe", which is a syntax error.

Indded.  What it says it to copy the CFLAGS and NOPROFILE lines from
/etc/defaults/make.conf to /etc/make.conf and uncomment them.  Copying
CFLAGS and uncommenting is bogus since it just gives -O -pipe if
correctly copied, but -O -pipe is the default.  If incorrectly copied,
then it gives a syntax error.  Copying and uncommenting the NOPROFILE
gives a small optimization if profiling is not used.

Bruce