swapon vs savecore dilemma

From: Doug White <dwhite_at_gumbysoft.com>
Date: Mon, 1 Sep 2003 17:04:28 -0700 (PDT)
Hey folks,

It looks like we may need to rethink the way swap is mounted at boot time
if we want crashdumps to work.

Recently(?), a change was made so you can no longer open a swap partition
read/write after it is activated with swapon(8).  In the current boot
sequence, swap is mounted before the root fsck starts so additional space
is available if the root fsck needs it.  But at that point no partitions
are available for writing a core to, so we can't run savecore then.

Without crashdumps debugging gets kind of interesting.

Suggestions, other than have separate dump and swap partitions?