Re: swapon vs savecore dilemma

From: Matthew D. Fuller <fullermd_at_over-yonder.net>
Date: Tue, 2 Sep 2003 02:05:02 -0500
On Tue, Sep 02, 2003 at 12:58:40AM -0600 I heard the voice of
Scott Long, and lo! it spake thus:

> I still think that the real problem is in running swapon before
> savecore.  In 99% of the cases out there, RAM scales with storage,
> so I really can't imaging fsck needing to swap, and certainly not
> in it's 'preen-before-background' mode.

Note also that (last I heard, anyway) this is often "worked around", or
non-issued, by us allocating swap from the "bottom" of the partition up,
and coredumps happening from the "top" down.  So, if you've got 512 megs
of swap, and 128 megs of ram, you'd need to use 384 megs of swap (+/-
housekeeping) before you corrupted your core.

--
Matthew Fuller     (MF4839)   |  fullermd_at_over-yonder.net