Re: Question related to FreeBSD Serial Console...

From: Bruce M Simpson <bms_at_spc.org>
Date: Tue, 2 Sep 2003 20:27:06 +0100
On Mon, Sep 01, 2003 at 05:29:09PM -0600, Scott Long wrote:
> At one time I was working on patches to the loader to make the console
> speed configurable.  At the time, at least, I didn't see any evidence
> that the settings were stored in the boot0 block, but maybe I was wrong.
> In any case, finishing this up is on my TODO list.

I was trying to make the boot process 100% independent of the VGA console
at one stage.  To the best of my knowledge, boot0 doesn't know anything
about serial, unless someone's using my boot0sio hack (which I haven't
committed, btw; it was very specific - you have only 512 bytes to play
with in the MBR, and I understand people had problems with jhb's 1024 byte
boot0).

boot2 is probably the more interesting part, it does make assumptions
if BOOT_COMCONSOLE_SPEED wasn't specified in the make, and loader takes its
cue from that up until it sees 'console' in loader.conf[.local].

One of the limitations here is that there can only be one console. Anything
else would be something of a hack to get boot2 and loader to tee their
output to two independent devices.

BMS