Re: Question about genassym, locore.s and 0-sized arrays (showstopper for an icc compiled kernel)

From: Alexander Leidinger <Alexander_at_Leidinger.net>
Date: Fri, 5 Sep 2003 10:34:53 +0200
On Thu, 4 Sep 2003 15:57:31 -0700
Marcel Moolenaar <marcel_at_xcllnt.net> wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 04, 2003 at 05:51:23PM -0500, Dan Nelson wrote:
> >
> > I guess the correct question to be asking is "does the ELF format allow
> > 0-length symbols?"
>
> Of course. What size do you think a label should have otherwise?

After mentioning the difference between gcc and icc I've got this
response:
---snip---
Regarding the zero size array issue:

Objects with zero size are incomplete objects and cannot be used in any
meaningful way.  Zero length arrays are explicitly prohibited by the
Standard.  We allowed zero length arrays as a feature request.  We set
their size to one so operations involving them can make some kind of
sense.
---snip---

Can you please give me "something" a compiler developer should
understand (an URL, a reference into some standard, a description, ...)?
As long as we can provide strong evidence that gcc doesn't do the wrong
thing Intel will change icc to be compatible with gcc.

Bye,
Alexander.

--
            Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day;
     teach him to use the Net and he won't bother you for weeks.

http://www.Leidinger.net                       Alexander _at_ Leidinger.net