PAM, X11, and su as a normal user? (fwd)

From: Steven G. Kargl <kargl_at_troutmask.apl.washington.edu>
Date: Fri, 5 Sep 2003 23:13:29 -0700 (PDT)
I sent this inquire to freebsd-question, but came up
empty with respect to solutions to the problem.

I have 2 accounts on my freebsd-current machine.  I use
startx to start X11 as user kargl.  If I then su to user
sgk, I cannot fire up X clients.  For example,

troutmask:kargl[202] su sgk
Password:
troutmask:sgk[201] gnuplot
Terminal type set to 'x11'
gnuplot> plot sin(x)
gnuplot>
gnuplot: unable to open display 'troutmask.apl.washington.edu:0'
gnuplot: X11 aborted.

I've tried using "xhost sgk_at_", but this doesn't work.
I have also used xauth to ensore that both user kargl
and user sgk have the same key in .Xauthority.
The only thing I can think of that may need to be
configured is PAM, but the documentation is rather
incomplete.  So, anyone know how to setup su to
permit sgk to use X clients?

--
Steve
http://troutmask.apl.washington.edu/~kargl/