Re: PAM, X11, and su as a normal user? (fwd)

From: Pat Lashley <patl_at_volant.org>
Date: Sat, 06 Sep 2003 01:32:50 -0700
--On Saturday, September 06, 2003 00:31:17 -0700 "Steven G. Kargl"
<kargl_at_troutmask.apl.washington.edu> wrote:

> I don't quite understand your suggestion.
>
> I login as user kargl.  I fire up X11
> as user kargl with startx.  I use su in a
> xterm to connect to my alter ego (su sgk).
> Now, as user sgk I want to use a X11 client
> such as nedit.  AFAICT, it can't be done.
>
> If as user kargl, I do "ssh -X sgk_at_troutmask"
> to login into the sgk account, I still can
> not use a X11 client.

Hmm.  That should work fine.  I do it all the time.  Check the
log messages to see if the SSH daemon had any non-fatal complaints.

The default config for SSHd used to disable X11 forwarding.  Look
in /etc/ssh/sshd_config for a line which sets X11Forwarding.  Make
sure it is set to 'yes'.  (If the line is commented out, the value
listed should be the default.  You might want to un-comment it and
set it to 'yes' just to be sure.)  After changing sshd_config you
will need to send a HUP signal to the running sshd to get it to
re-load its config file.  (kill -HUP `cat /var/run/sshd.pid`)

Oh, wait, one more thing - the shell's rc scripts for user sgk must
-NOT- modify the DISPLAY environment variable - it will be set properly
by ssh.

-Pat