Re: rpc.ypxfrd(8)

From: Dan Nelson <dnelson_at_allantgroup.com>
Date: Sat, 6 Sep 2003 09:31:43 -0500
In the last episode (Sep 06), Ruslan Ermilov said:
> On Fri, Sep 05, 2003 at 04:49:17PM -0500, Dan Nelson wrote:
> > In the last episode (Sep 05), Ruslan Ermilov said:
> > > Is there anybody out there who successfully uses the rpc.ypxfrd(8)
> > > server to speed up distribution of NIS maps, either on 4.x or 5.x?
> > > I have trouble getting it to work.
> >
> > Seems to work for me, although it might be failing and falling back to
> > a regular ypxfr for all I know.  If I run rpc.ypxfrd on the server,
> > then run chfn and change my name, lastcomm shows that rpc.ypxfrd forks
> > a couple times, and the client's map is updated.  -current server, 4.1
> > client.
> >
> If it falls back to a regular record-based transfer, as it does for me,
> it means it does not work:
>
> # /usr/libexec/ypxfr -f passwd.byname
> ypxfr: call to rpc.ypxfrd failed: RPC: Timed out
> ypxfr: Exiting: Map successfully transferred

# /usr/libexec/ypxfr -f passwd.byname
ypxfr: Exiting: Map successfully transferred

Looks like it works here.  Try capturing the packets and see whether
the server just isn't replying, or if there's something else happening.
Tracing rpc.ypxfrd on the server (you may need to use ktrace -i to
catch the child process) might show something, too.

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson_at_allantgroup.com