Re: usb flashkey disk copy error

From: John-Mark Gurney <gurney_j_at_efn.org>
Date: Sun, 7 Sep 2003 00:32:46 -0700
raoul.megelas wrote this message on Sun, Sep 07, 2003 at 08:45 +0200:
> I have a copy error between hdd and a flashkey 1gig usb (easydisk)
> on Current dated August 28. Here is in short:
>
> mount -t msdos /dev/da2s1 /flashkey
> cp myfile /flashkey/
> diff myfile /flashkey/myfile
> 	(ok).

could you try a fsync /flashkey/myfile before the umount?

> umount /flashkey
>
> mount (flashkey)
> diff myfile /flashkey/myfile
> 	(Binary file differ)!
>
> It is not a flashkey disk error, it works on XP.
> Note that this error occurs on FreeBSD 4.8 too.
>
> Please, can you tell me how to deal with that?
> And in an other hand can you tell me how to obtain the exact map of the flashkey
> to verify the writing on the disk.
> Thanks in advance for this newbie question.

You're the second person that has reported corruption with USB umass
devices.  I am interested in tracking down this problem, but it's a
bit difficult since I haven't seen it myself.

(I currently don't quite have a test bed box to play with, but I will
in the next week.)

Thanks.

--
  John-Mark Gurney				Voice: +1 415 225 5579