sylogd not logging

From: itchibahn <freebsd_at_isot.com>
Date: Sun, 7 Sep 2003 19:50:42 -0500
I used to run 4.6 where syslogd worked fine with cisco 7507, as5300, and
max4048.  Eversince I've installed 5.0-RELEASE, I used exact same config as
old, but can't get it working.  Please help.  The following is configs:

<syslog.conf>
*.err;kern.debug;auth.notice;mail.crit          /dev/console
*.notice;kern.debug;lpr.info;mail.crit;news.err /var/log/messages
security.*                                      /var/log/security
auth.info;authpriv.info                         /var/log/auth.log
mail.info                                       /var/log/maillog
lpr.info                                        /var/log/lpd-errs
ftp.info                                        /var/log/xferlog
cron.*                                          /var/log/cron
*.emerg                                         *
local0                                  /var/log/routers/nas1.log
local1                                  /var/log/routers/gw-kln.log
local2                                  /var/log/routers/max3.log
local3                                  /var/log/routers/max2.log
local4                                  /var/log/routers/max1.log
*.*                                             /var/log/all.log

<rc.conf>
syslogd_flags="-a *.isot.com"
#syslogd_flags="-a nas1.isot.com"       ;  also tried this

----- Forwarded message from  -----
From: "Sing Song" <song_at_isot.com>
> Yesterday, I tried your recomendation to use rc.conf.  Looked at the log
file,
> still nothing.  I added 'syslogd_flags="-a *.isot.com" to the rc.conf
> and used '/etc/rc.d/syslogd start' after killing the old syslogd process.
>
> I sure am getting frustrated as not getting any diag info from the
routers.
> Maybe I need to put back my old radius box.

Instead of using *.isot.com, try just specifing the dns name of one of your
routers that you would like to log.

syslogd_flags="-a rtr1.isot.com"

If you get syslog messages with this, then try adding additional -a flags
for each of your routers.

syslogd_flags="-a rtr1.isot.com -a rtr2.isot.com ... rtrN.isot.com"

You may want to send a message to FreeBSD-Current_at_freebsd.org informing them
that remote logging isn't working for you.

Scot
----- End forwarded message -----

This mail sent through ISOT.  To find out more
about ISOT, visit http://isot.com