Benchmarking KSE and SMPng

From: Roderick van Domburg <r.s.a.vandomburg_at_student.utwente.nl>
Date: Mon, 8 Sep 2003 18:47:06 +0200
Hello everyone,

I've got a big bad quad Pentium III Xeon sitting here that needs
reinstalling, and I would like to take the time to do some KSE and SMPng
benchmarking. Question is how to go about doing it.

I reckon I should basically go for four test setups:
1. FreeBSD 4-STABLE
2. FreeBSD 5-STABLE, libc_r
3. FreeBSD 5-STABLE, all libkse enabled
4. FreeBSD 5-STABLE, all libthr enabled

Question is then which {application,theoretical} benchmarks to run under
which circumstances. Although I've heard of bonnie et al, I'm new to the
benchmarking business and welcome any suggestions.

TIA,

Roderick