Re: Shared object "libintl.so.4" not found

From: Michael Edenfield <kutulu_at_kutulu.org>
Date: Sat, 13 Sep 2003 12:07:14 -0400
* Kevin Oberman <oberman_at_es.net> [030913 00:26]:

> > From: Kris Kennaway <kris_at_obsecurity.org>

> > Please don't give bogus advice.  The solution is to update everything
> > that depends upon gettext, e.g. by using portupgrade.
>
> Maybe, but this bit me and the solution was to re-build gmake. The
> changes in what routines are in libc cause this problem.

The reason you had to rebuild gmake is that it, too, depends on gettext.
When the port was first built it linked against libintl.so.4.  If you
upgraded gettext w/out saving the old libraries (in
/usr/local/lib/compat/pkg, if I remember right), the gmake broke.

There are basically two ways to solve the problem:

o As Kris (and others) have said since gettext was first upgraded, you
  should do this:

  portupgrade -rf gettext

o Keep libintl.so.4 around somewhere, such as portupgrade's
  compatibility directory.

Since libintl.so.4 is not part of the base system, only part of the
ports tree, I'm not sure there's any need to warn anyone upgrading from
4.x -> 5.x of anything.  There's nothing special about gettext other
than the fact that many ports, including GNU make, depend on it.  Any
other ports which install shared libraries are going to have the same
issue, which is why portupgrade saves the old libraries for you to begin
with.

--Mike