Re: Release Engineering Status Report

From: Maxim Konovalov <maxim_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2003 13:33:59 +0400 (MSD)
On Mon, 15 Sep 2003, 23:48-0600, Scott Long wrote:

> All,
>
> I'd like to give a status report for 4.x and 5.x for the developers and
> users who didn't attend the DevSummit this past weekend.
>
> 4.9:
> The 4.9 release is likely going to be pushed back for a few weeks while
> the recent instability reports are tracked down.  The target goal is two
> weeks, but hopefully things can be resolved before then.  The problems
> appear to stem from the recent PAE import.  The consensus reached at the
> DevSummit is that PAE is a critical feature for 4.x and that removing it
> isn't desirable unless the problems persist.  We encourage anyone to
> help with this.

PAE MFC brought an incredible instability to stable branch.  It
affects 100% of our user community especially when we issued several
SAs since PAE commit.  They often can't switch to RELENG_4_x security
branches because even RELENG_4_8 misses several critical non-security
fixes.

I believe stability was a critical feature of stable branch.  Not PAE
or anything alse.  That is why I think we have to back out all that
PAE code from stable.

[5.x stuff]

--
Maxim Konovalov, maxim_at_macomnet.ru, maxim_at_FreeBSD.org