Re: Release Engineering Status Report

From: Mike Silbersack <silby_at_silby.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2003 11:19:43 -0500 (CDT)
On Tue, 16 Sep 2003, Scott Long wrote:

> Patches have been floated on the mailing list that revert PAE in its
> various stages.  Maybe those need to be brought back up.  Silby?  Tor?
>
> Scott

I believe that Tor's commit on August 30th resolved the PAE-related
problems, so there is no need for a reversion.  Since that time, I've seen
three panics posted:

1.  Some netinet/ related panic which I couldn't make heads or tails of,
and I haven't any followup reports from the poster.

2.  Maxim's buildworld -j64 memory kmap entry exhaustion panic, which can
be fixed by increasing the number of kmap entries.  (Tor has a patch for
this, I will probably commit it soon.)

3.  A panic caused by sending 64K-1 ping packets, which I can't reproduce.

(There's also a small problem with if_xl on pentium-1 machines, but since
it's my fault and I'm waiting on test results from a guy, we won't talk
about it.)

(Hey, anyone have a pentium-200 and a 3com 905B card?  Contact me, further
testing can't hurt.)

So, as far as I can tell, there are no remaining problems related to PAE;
I believe that most people are venting frustration that built up between
August 9th and 30th.

Mike "Silby" Silbersack