Re: atheros (ath) driver bridging

From: John Hay <jhay_at_icomtek.csir.co.za>
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2003 21:34:49 +0200
On Tue, Sep 16, 2003 at 11:16:54AM -0700, Julian Elischer wrote:
> I'm not sure what I typed there but what I meant to say was....
> "At one stage the wi driver could not be put in promiscuous mode and
> the bridging code required that. Most people still think this is true."

I think it is still true. What you can do is bridging between ethernet
and wireless if you use host-ap mode. What you can't do is bridging
ethernet-wireless --- wireless-ethernet. For that you will need WDS
or something similar.
> On Tue, 16 Sep 2003, Sam Leffler wrote:
>
> > > I think what he meant was that at on state was known (I don't know the
> > > current state) that as the wi could not be but in promiscuous mode it
> > > could not be used for bridging..  Bridging requires promiscuous mode
> > > (or some very tricky proxy-arp stuff).
> >
> > You can put wi (and ath) in promiscuous mode.  The bridge manual page is
> > wrong and I will fix it.

John
--
John Hay -- John.Hay_at_icomtek.csir.co.za / jhay_at_FreeBSD.org