Re: using tip on machine that has COMCONSOLE set to serial

From: Terry Lambert <tlambert2_at_mindspring.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2003 23:05:04 -0700
Don Bowman wrote:
> This may be a dumb question, but I have
> a situation where machine A and B both have
> enabled serial console. I'm ssh'ing into A to
> try and debug a problem on B. I'm trying to
> use tip, but am getting interference from the
> fact that A also has a serial console.
>
> If i disable the getty, its a bit better.
>
> Is there a way to make this work reliably, or
> am I SOL?

Use or modify a getty to require multiple CR's to activate.  Or
use one that only activates on a break.

Best would be to use a getty that respected lock files, needed
2 CR's to start after off-to-on DTR/DCD transition (you will be
using a NULL-modem cable), and your tip/cu/whatever program did
appropriate locking, and knew how to back off.

Then you could put the getty's back-to-back and they would not
chat each other to death, and you could call out of the one
machine into the other, and your local getty would not eat half
the characters.

See also "uugetty" and "mgetty" in ports.

-- Terry