Re: What's happened to CDIOCREADAUDIO & friends?

From: Soren Schmidt <sos_at_spider.deepcore.dk>
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2003 08:17:16 +0200 (CEST)
It seems Vladimir Kushnir wrote:
> Hello,
> We used to have this ioctl in old ATA/ATAPI driver (and still do in
> sys/cdio.h); apparently, it's no longer there with ATAng. Is this a bug or
> feature? And if this was planned what's going to replace it? As it is,
> this change has broken cdparanoia cooked ioctls interface (BTW, that's why
> it doesn't work without root privileges), xmms and xine CDDA support and

The right way of doing audio graps has been to set the wanted blocksize
with CDRIOCSETBLOCKSIZE (not needed if all tracks on the CD is of
the same size), then just read from the device. Ioctl's was newer meant
to be used to read/write data, its also faster to use the R/W path...

> perhaps several more ports. Oh, incidentaly, cdparanoia (at least) is
> broken under -CURRENT in yet another way: it still looks for
> /dev/{acd,cd,mcd}%c -
> ports/audio/cdparanoia/files/patch-interface-scan_devices.c
> - which aren't there after cloning removal).

Then that should be fixed as well the sooner the better...

-Søren