Re: ath(4) driver problems with WEP...

From: Kenneth D. Merry <ken_at_kdm.org>
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2003 09:32:34 -0600
On Fri, Sep 19, 2003 at 08:22:13 -0700, Sam Leffler wrote:
> > Hmm.  One other thing I'm seeing is that when I configure a 128 bit key
> > with ifconfig or wicontrol (wicontrol shows all 28 characters -- 0x plus
> > 26 hex characters), ifconfig still thinks it is a 104 bit key.  This is
> > because ireq.i_len is 13.
> >

> You must not have the up to date ifconfig.  This was the behaviour from
> before.  I believe the mechanism that wicontrol uses to fetch keys does not
> handle >104-bit keys so you see the zero-padded key string.

I rebuilt ifconfig from the sources you checked in, although I didn't do
a full buildworld.  Does it depend on a library change somewhere?

The key I got from wicontrol wasn't zero-padded.  It showed all 26 hex
characters.

> >> I was able to associate with an Atheros AP with turbo mode enabled but
> >> didn't get any higher throughput.  I'm investigating this.
> >>
> >> FWIW I enabled turbo mode with:
> >>
> >> ifconfig ath0 mediaopt turbo
> >
> > I had to also set the mode to 11a before it wanted to accept the turbo
> > option.  Otherwise I got:
> >
> > ifconfig: SIOCSIFMEDIA (mediaopt): Device not configured
> >

> Ah, yes.  Turbo mode is orthogonal to 11a/b/g.  You can use it with 11g too
> so you need to specifiy 11a or 11g.  I was already locked in 11a mode.
> (But note that 11g+turbo is not yet supported by the driver.)

Ahh.  I take it there's no way for the driver/card to autodetect that
there's a turbo network around and attach to it?  (The Windows driver seems
to find it..)

> > Then I typed:
> >
> ># ifconfig ath0 mode 11a mediaopt turbo
> > 	atalk 0.0 range 0-0 phase 2
> >
> > Does it think I'm doing appletalk or something?
>
> Hmm, didn't see this, will have to check.
>

> > It seems to see the base station in turbo mode now, but I'm still getting
> > the "authentication failed (reason 13)" errors.
>
> Are you using WEP?  As I explained WEP doesn't work right now.

Yeah, I know.  I need to see if I can get an IPSec tunnel running to the
router.  My guess is that it will probably only want to talk IPSec over
its "internet port".

Ken
--
Kenneth Merry