Re: ports and -current

From: M. Warner Losh <imp_at_bsdimp.com>
Date: Sat, 20 Sep 2003 19:09:50 -0600 (MDT)
In message: <20030920175306.Q9576_at_znfgre.qbhto.arg>
            Doug Barton <DougB_at_freebsd.org> writes:
: I'd really like to see this change backed out, at minimum until the
: ports freeze is over.

Me too.  I'd like to see a discussion of this in arch_at_ as well.  I
know that people have a low bikeshed tolerance these days, but this is
a really big change and should be talked about first.  We've retained
much less widely used interfaces for compatibility for a year or two
at times, yet -pthread was removed with little or no discussion.  That
doesn't seem right to me.  It would be one thing if FreeBSD were the
only os using it, but it appears that everybody else that supports
threads uses it, and making FreeBSD the odd man out seems a little
extreme unless there's some big gain that I've overlooked.

Warner