Re: Fixing -pthreads (Re: ports and -current)

From: Kris Kennaway <kris_at_obsecurity.org>
Date: Sat, 20 Sep 2003 21:22:07 -0700
On Sun, Sep 21, 2003 at 02:03:40PM +1000, John Birrell wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 20, 2003 at 07:24:07PM -0700, Kris Kennaway wrote:
> > 3) You, John Birrell, and whoever else is interested in fixing these
> > ports can work on them at your own pace without disrupting life for
> > the rest of the users.  Once they're all fixed, we can turn the error
> > back on or make it a NOP or do whatever else is decided to be
> > appropriate.
>
> OK, so what's the commit procedure going to be? This could generate an
> awful lot of little PRs.

Call for volunteers, take the list of failed ports from dosirak and
divide it up between yourselves, then mark off the ports as fixes are
developed.  The fixes can be committed once the freeze is over (and
they are demonstrated not to break on 4.x).

There's no reason this needs to be coordinated through GNATS, and
indeed that would probably be counter-productive.  Since it won't be
affecting people outside the testing group who continue to run a gcc
that treats -pthread as an error, duplicate or bogus PRs won't be
generated by people who aren't in the loop.

> Scot posted a patch for bsd.port.mk. Is that going to be committed?
> That's needed.

Sure, if it works.  I can test it once the current 5.x build finishes
on dosirak.

> Are you prepared to unlock the ports tree and allow a blanket commit auth
> for commits that only change patch-configure? That should catch most of
> the simple cases.

I'm unsure of the current status - the original schedule called for
the ports tree to be tagged yesterday, but now the schedule has
slipped.  marcus is in charge of this release, so he'll have to
comment on the updated timeline.  However, we need to be careful not
to destabilize 4.9 in committing hasty and poorly-tested fixes for
problems on -current that do not also work on 4.x (this is
unfortunately a common occurrence).

At any rate, 4.9 will be released sooner or later, and in following
step 1) of my proposal the only people the freeze will continue to
affect are those who are working on fixing the -pthread issues, which
can be kept in private repositories for a week or two.  For everyone
else, ports that use -pthread will go back to working again (modulo
pre-existing compile failures).

Kris