Re: Fixing -pthreads (Re: ports and -current)

From: Daniel Eischen <eischen_at_vigrid.com>
Date: Sun, 21 Sep 2003 02:12:55 -0400 (EDT)
On Sat, 20 Sep 2003, Kris Kennaway wrote:

> On Sun, Sep 21, 2003 at 01:44:35AM -0400, Daniel Eischen wrote:
> > > What, precisely, do you object to in the above proposal?
> >
> > 1, 2, and 3.  I don't think backing out -pthread change helps
> > much in fixing ports...
>
> Again, why?  Please explain instead of asserting, because that's
> getting us nowhere towards resolving this.

Because when things break, people fix them.  There is no
motivation (as seen in the last 2+ years) to fix something
that isn't broken.

Please also see:

  http://docs.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=321307+0+archive/2003/freebsd-ports/20030601.freebsd-ports

my posting to ports_at_ in May of this year.

When the GCC-3.3 import broke a lot of ports, did you ask for it to
be backed out so that ports could first be fixed?  Yeah, OK, we're
in a ports freeze, so that's different now.  But once the freeze
is lifted, I don't see a need to keep -pthread in (assuming it
was added back for the freeze).

--
Dan Eischen