Re: Fixing -pthreads (Re: ports and -current)

From: Doug Barton <DougB_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Sun, 21 Sep 2003 01:25:09 -0700 (PDT)
On Sun, 21 Sep 2003, Daniel Eischen wrote:

> Well, actually it is directly related.  Part of the plan to
> transition to libpthread is making ports PTHREAD_LIBS compliant.
> As stated in that thread, if a libpthread exists on the system,
> autoconf/configure will pick it up and the port will also end up
> using -pthread and/or PTHREAD_LIBS.  If PTHREAD_LIBS is set
> to libthr or libc_r (something other than libpthread), then
> the port ends up linking to both libraries.  This doesn't work
> but you don't know it until your run the application and very
> weird things happen.  Causing a clean breakage is better because
> you know at compile-time that something is wrong.  So ports need to
> first be PTHREAD_LIBS compliant before we make the switch.  Soon
> after ports are fixed, we can rename it.

Where the ports are concerned, I think this is a reasonable course of
action, and I'd like to thank you for backing out the -pthread change on
HEAD. I am a little confused about one thing though. What is going to
happen to third party apps that use -pthread that aren't compiled
through the ports?

Doug