Re: Sound card troubles

From: Bruce Mackay <brucem128_at_comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2003 06:32:39 -0400
On Mon, 22 Sep 2003 17:02:29 -0700 (PDT)
Doug White <dwhite_at_gumbysoft.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 22 Sep 2003, Bruce Mackay wrote:
>
> > > Most BIOSen with PnP support have an option to clear the device config and
> > > force a PCI/PnP resource reconfiguration on next boot.
> > >
> > <snip>
> >
> > 	Laugh, it's actually a toshiba POS.  I wish I had realised that
> > the BIOS was so feeble.  One of the reasons I'm checking out FreeBSD is
> > so that I can tinker with different stuff.  Oh well...
>
> Tinkering with BIOS options isn't a feature of most operating systems :)

	That's too bad...  It might solve my problem :)

> > 	Is this something that FreeBSD team has considered or is
> > considering supporting PnP enforced BIOSes systems? Or am I SOL?
>
> There is a PNPBIOS kernel option in -stable you might try, but no
> guarantees.  I wonder if Toshiba has a program floating around to toggle
> the PnP bit anyway since it would preclude anything but Windows from
> running on the machine.
>
> --

	I could try that only problem is that I had to migrate to -current to get my wireless nic card working.  I may give it a try just to see if I can get my sound card working though...

	I have searched for a program that can change settings in the BIOS.  The only thing I've found is Toshiba's Hardware Setting Program,  but all it basically lets you do is change your bootup order.  I'll keep looking though...

Bruce