Re: Initial list of ports that fail due to -pthread

From: John Birrell <jb_at_cimlogic.com.au>
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2003 12:32:05 +1000
On Tue, Sep 23, 2003 at 07:18:21PM -0700, Kris Kennaway wrote:
> Here is a partial list of the ports that need to be taught to respect
> PTHREAD_LIBS and PTHREAD_CFLAGS, from the latest 5.x package build (I
> just grepped for the "-pthread is deprecated" error message).  None of
> these were fixed by ports/57047.  It is likely that there are many
> more that also need to be fixed - either they fail in other ways, or
> are hidden by depending on another port that currently fails.

I had a go at fixing some of the ones listed on your status page. I started
with the ones that had the greatest number of dependencies.

The thing I'm not sure about is whether there is consensus that the
-pthread argument should be removed from GCC. I've supported Dan's
approach because I understand the background. I think there have been a
few too many "don't do that" emails.

I'm tempted to suggest that -pthread be kept and set to the default
thread library (which I think should be libpthread aka libkse). If FreeBSD
really wants to have an alternate thread library (libthr), then add another
argument to toggle that. I know that'll make things confusing, but having
more than one thread library is more confusing than a change to -pthread.

--
John Birrell