Re: Fixing -pthreads (Re: ports and -current)

From: Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh_at_starjuice.net>
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2003 12:46:34 +0200
On (2003/09/24 20:18), John Birrell wrote:

> > Okay, so what are we supposed to do to ports that are now broken because
> > -pthread doesn't exist (e.g. devel/pwlib)?
>
> -pthread is back in current. It just had a little holiday. It's back,
> refreshed, eager and willing to do the deed. 8-)

That's really, REALLY good news.

Will Andrews recently posted a patch on -current and mentioned that
-pthread is back but will go away again soon.  Can I relax and disregard
his comment? :-)

> > Is there a simple rule we should follow when trying to fix ports, or do
> > we have to think now?
>
> Someone has to think and make a decision. Is simplicity (the -pthread switch)
> reason enough to support one thread library by default?

I'm happy with -pthread providing a simple default, which I can override
if I think I know what my software really wants. :-)

Ciao,
Sheldon.